IRC logs of #boinc for Sunday, 2014-10-12

00:22 *** kbhit has quit IRC

01:03 *** efc has joined #boinc

01:23 *** voix has quit IRC

03:19 *** efc has quit IRC

03:54 *** Caterpillar has joined #boinc

05:55 *** desti_T2 has joined #boinc

05:59 *** desti has quit IRC

06:22 *** chek2fire has joined #boinc

08:15 *** voix has joined #boinc

08:28 *** chek2fire has quit IRC

08:44 *** seekr has quit IRC

08:57 *** seekr has joined #boinc

09:10 *** voix has quit IRC

10:09 *** MiniFridge has joined #boinc

10:13 *** up365 has quit IRC

10:24 <desti_T2> http://sciencecontests.secondstreetapp.com/Win-a-trip-to-the-Kennedy-Space-Center/Enter/ SO MUCH HATE AGAINST QUEBEC

10:24 <Romulus> <http://tinyurl.com/kcv5u8g> (at sciencecontests.secondstreetapp.com)

10:43 *** TyphooN` has quit IRC

10:59 *** PovAddict has joined #boinc

10:59 *** PovAddict has quit IRC

10:59 *** PovAddict has joined #boinc

11:02 *** TyphooN` has joined #boinc

11:18 *** MiniFridge has quit IRC

13:14 *** kbhit has joined #boinc

14:34 *** kbhit has quit IRC

15:46 *** whynot has joined #boinc

15:47 *** efc has joined #boinc

16:53 <PovAddict> hmm, what project to attach

16:54 *** TyphooN` has quit IRC

17:30 *** TyphooN` has joined #boinc

17:51 *** chek2fire has joined #boinc

17:56 *** twikz has joined #boinc

17:57 *** whynot has quit IRC

18:04 *** twikz has quit IRC

18:05 *** twikz has joined #boinc

18:19 *** X-warrior has joined #boinc

18:25 <X-warrior> what is this channel for?

18:25 <PovAddict> hard to tell by now, it's been so quiet :P

18:30 <X-warrior> does the download data for a taks (or work unit maybe?) depends on which project am I contributting to right?

18:30 <PovAddict> you mean how much data per task is downloaded? yes, that depends on the project

18:31 <X-warrior> is there any stats about that?

18:31 <PovAddict> there's even projects where it's hard to take the stats, like Einstein@Home which downloads large files but they are used for multiple tasks

18:31 <X-warrior> I'm thinking about a JS client for boinc

18:31 <PovAddict> why?

18:31 <PovAddict> that would be slow as hell

18:36 <X-warrior> it could be, but if it is possible to break more the task, so the data downloaded for each task and the process time for one task was small, I could have all my websites visitors contributing to a boinc project. Imagine, all facebook users helping to process something

18:37 <X-warrior> x)

18:37 <PovAddict> pick a project

18:40 <PovAddict> let's say SETI@Home

18:40 <X-warrior> ok

18:40 <PovAddict> first step: rewrite http://www.fftw.org/ in Javascript

18:40 <Romulus> Title: FFTW Home Page (at www.fftw.org)

18:40 <PovAddict> do you know what a fourier transform is?

18:41 <X-warrior> yes I know

18:41 <X-warrior> but I'm not really familiar about how hard is to process one of then

18:43 <PovAddict> http://www.boinc.cz/img/BOINC_Projects_table.png here's an old list of projects and their requirements

18:43 <Romulus> <http://tinyurl.com/4nkb8v> (at www.boinc.cz)

18:46 *** Switeck has joined #boinc

18:48 <X-warrior> PovAddict: will reboot to lnx, thanks for the help, brb

18:48 *** X-warrior has quit IRC

18:55 *** Caterpillar has quit IRC

18:59 *** Turf has joined #boinc

19:01 *** _Turf has joined #boinc

19:10 *** _Turf has quit IRC

19:15 *** TyphooN` has quit IRC

19:20 *** TyphooN` has joined #boinc

20:17 *** TyphooN` has quit IRC

20:30 *** voix has joined #boinc

20:36 *** TyphooN` has joined #boinc

20:47 *** TyphooN` has quit IRC

20:48 *** twikz has quit IRC

20:51 *** TyphooN` has joined #boinc

20:53 *** zombie67 has joined #boinc

20:54 *** TyphooN` has quit IRC

21:04 *** MiniFridge has joined #boinc

21:33 *** chek2fire has quit IRC

21:36 *** CoderForLife has joined #boinc

21:36 *** ChanServ sets mode: +o CoderForLife

21:36 *** ChanServ sets mode: -o CoderForLife

21:36 <CoderForLife> &wx 45140

21:37 <Romulus> CoderForLife: Temperature: 61.3F / 16.3C | Humidity: 90% | Pressure: 30.02in / 1016hPa (Steady) | Conditions: Mostly Cloudy | Wind Direction: East | Wind Speed: 3.6mph / 5.8km/h ; Sunday - Mostly cloudy. High of 68F. Winds from the East at 5 to 10 mph.; Sunday Night - Overcast with a chance of a thunderstorm and a chance of rain, then a chance of a thunderstorm and rain showers after midnight. Low (1 more message)

21:37 <CoderForLife> &more

21:37 <Romulus> CoderForLife: of 61F. Winds from the SSE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 60% with rainfall amounts near 0.2 in. possible.; Monday - Overcast with a chance of a thunderstorm and a chance of rain. High of 75F. Winds from the South at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40%.;

21:40 *** efc2 has joined #boinc

21:41 *** efc has quit IRC

21:43 *** voix has quit IRC

21:50 *** voix has joined #boinc

22:06 *** voix has quit IRC

22:38 *** MiniFridge has quit IRC

22:59 <PovAddict> hi zombie67

22:59 <zombie67> hi pov

23:00 <zombie67> atlas is messed up.  maybe something funky with memeory, maybe something else.

23:01 <PovAddict> I think I completed half the tasks I downloaded

23:01 <PovAddict> the rest I crashed them one way or another

23:01 <PovAddict> resuming laptop from sleep, etc

23:04 <zombie67> yeah.  Also, the DL size is stupid, as you notices

23:04 <PovAddict> well it's one-time

23:04 <PovAddict> but yeah

23:05 <zombie67> no, each task is huge too.

23:06 <PovAddict> interesting, guess I didn't notice it

23:07 <zombie67> I think they are DL redundent items that could be DL just once and reused

23:07 <PovAddict> I got a raspberry pi

23:07 <PovAddict> totally unsuitable for crunching :D

23:07 <PovAddict> let me get my benchmarks

23:07 <zombie67> cool!I have one too

23:08 <zombie67> very very slow.  But fun to play with

23:08 <PovAddict> I ran the povray benchmark, took 11 hours :D

23:09 <PovAddict> BOINC benchmarks: 232 floating point, 935 integer

23:12 <zombie67> otoh, runs on a cell phone AC adapter

23:15 <PovAddict> yup

23:16 <PovAddict> somebody in #raspberrypi was buying his raspi along with a solar panel and battery :D

23:20 <PovAddict> zombie67: I was thinking a single-project BOINC-oid for iOS could get into the App Store, if Apple doesn't object to the high CPU/power use

23:21 <PovAddict> and the iPhone CPU+GPU is quite powerful

23:21 <PovAddict> (nowadays)

23:21 <zombie67> yeah, I agree

23:22 <PovAddict> would need to write it from scratch though, Apple and the BOINC license (GPL3) don't get along

23:40 *** PovAddict has quit IRC

Generated by irclog2html.py 2.4 by Marius Gedminas - find it at mg.pov.lt!